Bible Study for Christian Women and Pastors Wives - I Am The Salt -1
Recently, I had surgery on both big toes. That was on a Tuesday. On Saturday, I was to drive - by myself - for about 1,800 miles, give or take a mile or two. And then a three day trip the following week and the next week. The last thing the doctor told me was "You can go on your trips, but you must soak your toes twice a day, every day, in water with Epsom salt."
On the long trip the first week, I took my big old towel, my salt, my band-aids, and antibiotic ointment and q-tips to smear it on both toes. Since I was either stating with family or by myself in a hotel room, that worked out okay.
The next week was a little bit of a challenge. I was not driving but riding with others. What to do? Enough gallon size freezer bags for soaking + baggies Epsom salt + only enough torn-off paper towels for one- each-foot for each soaking proved to be a really good solution.
I did notice some things:
* I could put that bag of salt in the pan and put it close to my toes and it did no good.
* I could put the water in the pan close to my toes and it still did absolutely no good whatsoever for my toes.
* But, when I diffused the salt in the water in the pan and stuck my feet in, it accomplished what the doctor wanted it to accomplish - which was to purify and cleanse the open wounds caused at her hands in surgery.
It was Jesus that called us the salt of the earth.
I notice some things:
* Christians who only talk to other Christians and never mingle with the world make no difference in the world.
* Christians who never mingle with The Word of God and spent time in Prayer - both talking to God and listening to God are mostly indistinguishable from the world.
* But when Christians spend time in The Bible, time talking to God, and also time hearing from God are a purifying agent when around the world and a positive influence on other Christians.
By the way, the purifying agent may not be liked by the one being purified and sometimes you have to get creative to be the salt Jesus said you were.
Be blessed in The Name above every name, Jesus! I know I am!
Linda L Culbreth
Photo taken by missionary Dr. Stan Kiefer at a salt mine in The Philippines. Used by permission, please visit his website www.ministry4missions.org.